Last Updated on April 25, 2022 by admin
Modern-day coffee machines have evolved beyond simple brewing, to a more integrated process. The newest coffee makers now have intuitive touchscreens, wireless connectivity, and some with pre-loaded recipes. This makes the whole brewing process even better, faster, and improved user experience.
As a result, brewing coffee at home is no longer a challenge anymore to young baristas, as the modern generation coffee machines are now well equipped to produce that barista-grade coffee with uncompromising quality.
Why Do You Need a Coffee Machine
The benefits of buying a coffee machine for home use include.
- Cost savings in the long run! Let say you buy coffee every morning at an average price of $2-$5 per cup. This could translate to savings of over $800 per year when you brew coffee at home. Coffee tends to remain fresh for weeks, therefore one round of brew can last for a while.
- Coffee tastes better at home. At home, you have the luxury of trying new things or recipes, which is not possible in commercial outlets or coffee shops.
- The option for fresh grounds. Fresh grounds coffee tastes better. At home, you have the option to choose, unlike in retail outlets.
Coffee Maker Buying Guide
Buying a coffee machine is an investment, so the below guide summarizes the most important factors to consider before buying a coffee maker. The guide’s primary purpose is to help your decision-making process easier.
- Quantity. Coffee machines come in different sizes, therefore the quantity of coffee or the corresponding size of the household is very important before deciding on which coffee maker to buy. More especially in the morning when the demand for coffee is high, some coffee makers have larger tanks, while some can only brew one cup at a time.
- Type of coffee. The type of coffee you like should help in deciding the type of coffee machine you buy. Some people just want regular black coffee, while others may be interested in elaborate coffee varieties.
- Cost. How much are you willing to spend? – There are many coffee machine brands out there with varying models. Compromising on a certain model may mean that some of the essential features will be sacrificed. Cost may not necessarily translate to the best user experience, but if you should go for a product, choose the one that provides the best value for your money.
- Kitchen space. How big is your kitchen space or the countertop where you plan to keep your coffee machine? This is very important and should be carefully thought out before deciding on your choice of a coffee maker.
- Extras. Coffee lovers may want to know unique features, that set their models apart from others. Below are some of the added features you may find in modern coffee machines.
- Programmable power button. Most recent models have a programmable switch/on/off button that may come in handy at some point in time.
- Coffee grinder. This is an important feature if you like your coffee fresh. Freshly ground beans taste better. Most models have built-in grinders – see “best coffee maker with grinder” or it can be sold separately. See our ”coffee grinder” section. Coffee machines with built-in grinders tend to be faster as the whole process is integrated, but may cost more.
- Water filter. Filtered water enriches the flavor of the coffee. Most coffee models filter the water first before brewing.
- Temperature control function. The quality of the brewed coffee is heavily dependent on this feature. If the temperature is too high, the flavoring will evaporate and the result is black coffee. Modern coffee machines have built-in measures to keep this in check.
- Steamer. This feature may not be needed when making a simple cup of dry coffee but very important for other coffee varieties like the espresso
The 5 Best Coffee Machines of 2022
#1. Cuisinart DCC 3200 Coffee Maker
Cuisinart DCC 3200 Coffee Maker is a steady performer and a coffee machine like no other. It is 14-cup stainless steel, fully programmable brewer with a regular or bold flavor profile, BPA free, auto-shutoff function, self-cleans, brew-strength control feature, and includes a gold-tone commercial-style filter. The machine has an easy-to-view water window for accurate filling, a brew-pause feature to enjoy that rich blend of coffee before the end of the brewing cycle. 60-second reset settings in case of a power outage, and a limited 3-year warranty, are additional features of the product.
- ENJOY HOTTER COFFEE: Expert coffee-making technology will allow you to ensure your coffee temperature is perfect without sacrificing flavor or quality
- BREW STRENGTH CONTROL: Select regular or bold coffee flavor to perfectly match your coffee taste preference
- FULLY AUTOMATIC COFFEE BREWER: 24-hour programmability with 1–4 cup settings, auto-off functionality—0-4 hours—and optional ready alert tone
- 14-CUP GLASS CARAFE: Includes decorative black stainless-steel handle with matching black stainless-steel body to perfectly pair with your kitchen appliances
- FILL WITH EASE: Easy-to-view water window for accurate filling and Cuisinart’s trademarked Brew Pause feature lets you enjoy a cup of coffee before the brewing cycle has finished
#2. Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer
Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer is a 2-way fully programmable, versatile coffee machine with auto-shutoff, extra-large carafe with measurement markings, brew-strength control, and can brew directly into a travel mug, the carafe, or a short cup. This coffee maker is affordable, low-maintenance, and can brew premium-roast or a basic coffee in record time. It will also let you brew in advance and wake up to a hot cup of coffee.
- 2 WAYS TO BREW: SINGLE CUP OR FULL POT. Brew a single-serve cup or a full pot of coffee with your favorite ground coffee. Whichever way you brew, the Hamilton Beach Programmable Coffee Maker makes it easy to do both. Not compatible with K-Cup pods
- SIMPLE SINGLE-CUP BREWING — DOESN'T USE K-CUP PODS. Brew a cup for one using loose ground coffee (not compatible with K-Cup pods). With the included mesh scoop, adding your favorite ground coffee couldn’t be easier: just scoop, place and brew
- PEACE OF MIND WITH 2 HOUR AUTOMATIC SHUTOFF. How many times have you walked out the door, only to wonder: did I turn the coffee maker off. Now there's no worry or turning around to check, since the coffee maker turns off automatically after 2 hours
- PROGRAMMABLE FOR WAKE-UP READY COFFEE. Program the Hamilton Beach coffee maker with the time you want to start brewing, fill with water and add ground coffee. When you wake up, coffee will be hot and ready to drink. Not compatible with K-Cup pod
- CHOOSE YOUR BREW STRENGTH WITH SELECT-A-BREW. Control how strong you want your coffee with two brew options: regular and bold. Choose Regular for standard medium-grind coffee, or go Bold for decaf, finer grind or a premium roast brand for richer flavor
- USE YOUR FAVORITE TRAVEL CUP OR MUG. Mugs not included
- "Pod Basket" is not included.
#3. Ninja Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Brewer
Ninja Coffee 12-Cup Programmable Brewer is very compact but powerful and delivers full coffee flavors from cup to carafe. It features a classic and rich strength setting that makes hot, flavorful coffee that is never bitter. This coffee machine has a removable water reservoir, mid-brew pause, 24-hour delay brew, advanced boiler, adjustable warming plate, flavor straw, and can brew up to 12 cups of coffee.
- Classic or Rich, each brew is flavorful and never bitter with custom brew strengths
- Hotter brewing technology: Advanced boiler for a perfectly hot cup of coffee
- Wake up to hot coffee. 24-hour programmable delay brew allows you to prepare your brew up to a day in advance
- Keep coffee fresh and flavorful up to 4 hours with the adjustable warming plate
- Conveniently carry the 60-oz. removable water reservoir to your sink for easy filling. Dishwasher-safe parts: Yes
- Material type: Plastic
- Included Components: Permanent Filter
#4. Ninja Hot and Cold Brew System
The Ninja Hot and Cold Brew System are powered by an advanced IQ thermal extraction system that allows the coffee maker to brew hot, over ice beverage, or flavorful cups of coffee and tea, and specialty brews ranging from cappuccinos to frothy chai lattes, macchiatos, and more. This machine is a potent competitor and can make rich, smooth, sweet cold brew coffee in just 10 minutes.
- COLD BREW: Brew tea or coffee at a lower temperature over ice for smooth, naturally sweet flavor in 10 to 15 minutes.
- SEPARATE BASKETS: Keep flavors separate with different baskets for brewing coffee and loose or bagged tea.
- SMART BASKET RECOGNITION: System recognizes what's in the basket and automatically displays coffee or tea options.
- 6 BREW SIZES: Brew anything from a single cup to an XL cup, travel size, XL travel size, and half or full carafe with your coffee maker.
- 5 BREW STYLES: Choose your style with Classic, Rich, Over Ice, Cold Brew, or Specialty.
- TEA TYPES: Select your tea type, and the system will know the right temperature and number of steps needed.
- KEEPS IT HOT: The 50 oz. (10-Cup) Thermal Carafe is double-walled to keep your coffee and tea hot for up to 2 hours. No warming plate required.
- FOLD-AWAY FROTHER: Turn hot or cold milk into silky-smooth froth in seconds with the Hot and Cold Frother. Flips into the machine when not in use.
- DISHWASHER SAFE PARTS: The water reservoir, frother whisk, brew-through lid, coffee and tea permanent filters, removable filter holders, flip-top lid, and scoop are all top-rack dishwasher safe. Thermal carafe should be hand-washed only. Do not use a wire brush for cleaning it or the unit.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: Ninja Hot & Cold Brew System, 50 oz. (10-Cup) Double-Walled Thermal Carafe, Separate Coffee and Tea Brew Baskets, Coffee Permanent Filter, Tea Permanent Filter, Removable Water Reservoir, Ninja Smart Scoop, Fold-Away Frother, Quick Start Guide, Instruction Booklet & Recipe Book.
#5. Keurig K-Cafe Single Serve Coffee, Latte, and Cappuccino Maker
Keurig K-Cafe Single Serve Coffee, Latte, and Cappuccino Maker is very bold, super smart, energy-efficient, and refined for the ages with the touch of an artist. It has a premium finish and is the go-to coffee machine for premium coffee, frothy cappuccinos, and creamy lattes. This single-serve coffee maker can brew in four cup sizes and is dishwasher safe.
- Special edition: Complement your kitchen with the premium nickel colored finish, metal handle and drip tray
- 4 cup sizes: 6, 8, 10, and 12 ounce
- Simple button controls: Just insert any k cup pod and use the button controls to brew delicious coffee, or make hot or iced lattes and cappuccinos.120v
- Large 60 ounce water reservoir: Allows you to brew 6 cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine; Removable reservoir makes refilling easy
- Smart start: Your coffee maker heats, then brews in one simple process; No need to wait for it to heat before selecting your cup size
- Energy efficient: Programmable auto off feature automatically turns your brewer off 2 hours after the last brew for energy savings
- Travel mug friendly: Accommodates travel mugs upto 7.2 inches tall and is top rack dishwasher safe for easy cleanup. 16.7 inch h (with handle open)
- Compatible with the my k-cup universal reusable coffee filter: Brew your own ground coffee (sold separately).
- Brewer maintenance reminder: Alerts you when it is time to descale your coffee maker. Descaling is an important process that removes built-up calcium deposits, ensuring the best-tasting brew possible.
Buying a coffee maker is an investment, therefore proper care is needed to keep the machine running. Regular maintenance like cleaning and occasional descaling is what we recommend to remove mold in the coffee maker. Cleaning removes residue, to prevent after taste and rust build-up in the machine.