Last Updated on October 28, 2021 by admin
A cold brew coffee is a ground coffee steeped in cold water and strained. It is becoming very popular and already trending in many countries. Amongst millennials, it is now the most popular drink, and this gradual shift has been attributed to the global rise in average daily temperature.
Therefore, to keep up with this dynamic generation, a barista needs to possess the right knowledge and skill on how to make cold brew coffee at home.
Before we proceed to the 9 best cold brew coffee makers of 2021, let us quickly answer the most common questions (Q&A) consumers ask about this popular and exciting beverage.
Q: What is cold brew coffee?
Cold brew coffee is never exposed to heat. It is a medium-to-coarse ground coffee that is steeped in room-temperature water for at least 12 hours. The grounds are then filtered out until there are no more sediments.
Q: Cold brew coffee vs iced coffee
Iced coffee, just like the name suggests, is the regular brewed coffee that is served over ice. On the other hand, cold brew coffee is the result of a specific brewing method in which no heat is involved.
Q: Is cold brew stronger than regular coffee?
Yes. Cold brew coffee is stronger than regular coffee because it is prepared by steeping ground coffee for at least 12 hours. So, the taste of the coffee is gradually absorbed into the water.
Q: How do you make cold brew coffee at home?
Making cold brew coffee at home is easy. The ingredients and steps involved are summarized below.
- 1 cup of whole beans (4 ounces or 113 grams) will be needed. It can be the Robusta or the Arabica variety that is dark or medium roasted
- 4 cups of water (32 ounces or 907 grams) is good for the entire process
- Coffee grinder or a grind and brew coffee maker
- A small strainer, to separate the grounds from the drink
- A bottle, for storing the brewed coffee till consumption or sale
- Cheesecloth to sieve the drink
- Finally, a 1 1/2-quart glass/ceramic/plastic container to steep the drink
- First, grind the coffee beans coarsely. You can consider buying ground coffee but if you grind it at home, the coffee will be fresh and tastes better
- Sterilize the container. Pour the coffee grounds and water (filtered water is best) into the jar/container, with a 1:8 coffee-to-water ratio
- Stir gently and leave the mixture to steep for at least 12 hours
- Use a strainer to remove grounds after brewing. Discard strainer, and repeat (2 to 3 times) with a new strainer until all grounds are removed
- Coffee is now ready. You can serve over ice with milk and sugar
- Cover and refrigerate the rest!
Q: Why is cold brew expensive?
Cold brewing takes longer than the regular brewing process. The end result is a less acidic coffee. Also, cold brew coffee has 3 times more caffeine when compared to regular coffee.
Q: Do you need special coffee for cold brew?
No. You can use any ground coffee for cold brew. The coarse ground is mostly preferred because straining is easier at the end.
Q: What happens if you use fine ground coffee for cold brew?
When you grind coffee too fine, it will undergo some heat which changes the natural taste. Also, too fine grounds are difficult to filter. The bitterness of the coffee will be more when they are finer. So, it is recommended to stick with coarse ground coffee when preparing a cold brew.
Q: Can I reuse cold brew grounds?
No. You cannot. During the first brewing, pretty much all the properties are extracted.
Q: Can I brew cold brew in the fridge?
Yes. Once the coffee is cold brewed, you can keep it in the fridge and consume it gradually. That will not affect the taste because the properties are already extracted from the water.
Q: Can you steep cold brew too long?
It is best to cold brew the coffee for a minimum of 12 hours. The best duration is between 12 – 18 hours. If you cold brew the coffee for more than that, the bitterness will return. So, keep it within the 12-18 range.
Q: Why is my cold brew coffee bitter?
If you experience extra bitterness in your coffee, the three reasons below may apply.
- Brewing the coffee for too long (more than 24 hours). Or
- Using finer grounds
- Using unfiltered water. Coffee tastes better when water is used
Q: Should you stir cold brew while steeping?
No. After the first stir when water is added, you should leave it as it is so the extraction will be done smoothly.
Q: Can you cold brew at room temperature?
Yes. You can do it. The best results of a cold brew coffee can be achieved with water at room temperature. You should never use hot water to make cold brew coffee.
Q: How do you know if cold brew has gone bad?
The several ways to know if your cold brew coffee has gone bad are listed below.
- It has little or no aroma
- It has very little or no caffeine kick
- There is a significant drop in flavor
- Experiencing too much acidic taste
- You experience the moldy or rotten smell
This can happen if you leave the coffee at room temperature after brewing it.
Q: Does cold brew go bad if not refrigerated?
Yes. Just like with any other beverage, cold brew coffee too can go bad if you keep it at room temperature for too long. You should store it in the refrigerator immediately after brewing it. Also, it is best when kept in a concentrated form.
Q: How long does cold brew last in your system?
The caffeine content of one cup of cold brew coffee kicks in within 30 minutes, and the full effect lasts for about 2-3 hours. The amount of caffeine you have consumed will be degraded by half within 6 hours.
Q: What is the best ratio for cold brew coffee?
The best ratio is 1:8 (coffee to water) so you can enjoy a nice cup of coffee. If you mix it with a 1:4 ratio, the coffee will be stronger. You can even prepare it with a 1:2 ratio for the strongest concentration.
Q: How long does cold brew coffee last in the fridge?
Generally, you can expect a cold brew to last for 14 days from the day of the brewing. The taste will dilute after that even if you refrigerate it. However, it is better to consume your cold brew coffee within a couple of days to enjoy the fresh taste.
Q: Why does cold brew use so much coffee?
During the process of cold brewing, you don’t use hot water to extract the taste and other properties. Instead, you let the coffee sit in cold water (room temperature) for more than 12 hours. So, more coffee is required to make the water infused.
Q: How do you increase the shelf life of cold brew coffee?
It is possible to extend the shelf life of cold brew coffee. However, it requires some additional work. In commercial brews, they extend the shelf life of the cold brew through pasteurization. It could be heat pasteurization or high-pressure pasteurization. But both of those processes will change the natural flavor of your cold brew coffee.
Q: Is cold brew coffee healthy?
Yes. There are many health benefits associated with cold brew coffee. Mentioned below are some of those benefits.
- It boosts your metabolism
- It improves your mood
- It can lower the risk of heart disease
- It can lower the risk of Type II diabetes
- It may reduce the risk of Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s
- It is easier on the stomach compared to hot coffee
Q: Does cold brew keep you awake?
Yes. Cold brew coffee contains caffeine that can keep you active and awake. You can take a cup of cold brew coffee to avoid lethargy and drowsiness during the daytime. However, it is always recommended to get adequate sleep during the night.
Q: Can you freeze cold brew coffee?
Yes. You can freeze cold brew coffee and have it for about 2 weeks. However, for it to taste better, you must defrost it.
Q: Is drinking day-old coffee bad for you?
No. As long as you consume it within 24 hours, that would be fine. However, if you intend to keep it longer than that, refrigerate it.
Q: What do you do with expired coffee?
There are many uses of expired coffee instead of throwing it away.
- Use it as a fertilizer
- Insect repellent
- Pest repellent
- Can use as a flea repellent for pets
- Odor neutralizer
- Natural scrub
- Natural skin exfoliator
Q: What is the best cold brew coffee maker?
The best-selling cold brew coffee maker is reviewed below.
9 Best Cold Brew Coffee Makers 2021
Takeya Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee Maker (One Quart)
Takeya Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee Maker ensures only delicious coffee flavors are extracted, leaving behind the bitter oils and fatty acids. It delivers coffee in 3 quick easy steps s- add coffee, brew, and serve. This cold brew coffee maker features a leak-proof airtight lid for shaking, a fine mesh coffee filter, a non-slip handle, a durable pitcher body that is BPA-free and is dishwasher safe.
- The Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee Maker is a durable BPA-Free Tritan pitcher with an airtight lid and non-slip silicone handle. It produces 4 servings of smooth cold brew with any type of coffee grounds and is less acidic than traditional coffee brewing. One Quart, Black
- The Fine-Mesh Coffee Filter in this cold brew coffee maker keeps grounds out of your freshly brewed pot - differing from other coffee machines. Tritan plastic withstands hot temperatures if you want a hot cup of coffee. Fits in most refrigerator doors
- Premium Bottles and Lids: Our innovative line of insulated hydration solutions come in a range of sizes. We offer water bottles in 18, 24, 32, 40, and 64 oz sizes, beverage makers and pitchers in 1 Qt and 2 Qt sizes
- BPA Free Hydration Solutions: From insulated stainless steel water bottles to beverage makers and pitchers, as well as a variety of product accessories, Takeya USA products help you stay cool, refreshed and hydrated for an active, on-the-go lifestyle
- Innovative Hydration Solutions: Takeya brings over 55 years of Japanese design heritage to our line of insulated, BPA-free water bottles & our sustainable iced tea, fruit infusion, & cold brew pitchers
HyperChiller V2 Iced Coffee Maker
HyperChiller V2 Iced Coffee Maker offers the easiest and cheapest way to make delicious ice coffee at home. In one minute, you can turn a fresh hot coffee into an iced coffee with zero dilution. This iced coffee maker is compatible with all brewing methods, pays for itself within two weeks, dishwasher safe, and is suitable for chilling all your favorite beverages including wine, tea, alcohol, and juice.
- Improved V2 product - the easiest, most cost effective way to chill your favorite beverages. Our Patented design uses regular water to chill and because there are no chemicals or Gels, all parts of the HyperChiller are dishwasher safe.
- Having to hit the floor running this morning and don’t have time to prepare your iced Coffee, The HyperChiller will chill your Coffee in less than 60 seconds. Take the edge off a hectic morning by enjoying an Iced Coffee on the go.
- It works with ALL types of coffee makers whether you use a single brew or a K-Cup by brewing directly in to your HyperChiller. Drip style model, no problem, simply pour the Coffee from the carafe and you are Iced in 60 seconds
- Your HyperChiller is perfect for chilling all of your favorite beverages whether it’s a special blend of tea, juice, wine or other adult beverages without dilution, you can even chill a glass of wine. The best Happy hour accessory you can buy
- This is the easiest and most convenient item to make iced Coffee without dilution. Simply fill with water and place in the freezer, remove and place in your Coffee maker and brew or pour from a carafe in to the HyperChiller and then into your cup.
Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker
This Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker will deliver professional brew from the comfort of your home. Brewed coffee is less acidic, smooth, can be diluted, and stored in the refrigerator. It is easy to use, dishwasher safe, BPA-free, ergonomic handle for smooth pouring, and a perfect fit for any fridge or shelf.
- ➤ SMOOTHER COFFEE, EVERY TIME – Cold brewing is 70% less acidic than hot brewing. And richer in taste. Our cold brewer extracts coffee concentrate which can be stored and mixed with an endless variety of beverages to create your own perfect, personal cup of joy. Recommended grind size: Coarse
- ➤ LOCKS IN FRESHNESS AND FLAVOR FOR UP TO 2 WEEKS – Airtight seal. Easy-access handle. Engineered to perfectly fit within your fridge shelf. Experience refined craftsmanship you can always count on
- ➤ QUALITY YOU WON’T REGRET – 18/8 rust-free superfine laser cut filter, medical-grade stainless steel filter & lid cap. Extra-thick, lab-tested borosilicate glass. BPA-Free silicon airtight seal. Dishwasher safe. New upgrade: Non-slip rubber cushion base for extra protection. Professional home brewing has never been this easy: just mix and pour
- ➤ ICED AND HOT TEA COMPATIBLE – Great for loose-leaf tea. Or tea bags. Brew it hot like a traditional teapot, or brew it cold in the fridge. Take your brewing & hosting skills to the next level
- ➤ WE WANT YOU! TO BE HAPPY – Choose OVALWARE if you care about quality and customer service. We have great confidence in the quality of our products, and we have the best customer service here on Amazon - which is why we are offering you a Risk-Free purchase. In the unlikely event our product fails to meet or exceed your expectations, you may return our product within 30 DAYS post-purchase to receive a FULL refund
1 Gallon Cold Brew Coffee Maker
This one Gallon Cold Brew Coffee Maker with reinforced glass and stainless steel mesh filter is very affordable, durable, and will deliver smooth amazing coffee with no bitter taste. The flavor is all-around coffee, and a perfect fit for a tea maker, cold brew mason jar, and ice coffee maker.
- Durable & Beautiful Design: Crafted with reinforced and extra thick glass, designed to brew 1 GALLON of cold coffee. Designed a cut above most convectional carafes that tend to shatter easily. Stainless steel mesh filter keeps out fine grounds. Great functionality and stylish design that looks great in any kitchen or office.
- Saves You Money: Spending on overpriced cups of coffee can really add up! With this beautiful cold coffee brewer you can make delicious cold brew from the comfort of your own home, helping you save on unnecessary purchases. Elegant and well designed, this cold brew coffee maker is the best investment you can make. Fits perfectly in any fridge.
- Taste The Difference: Cold brewing extracts the delicious flavors from coffee or tea, avoiding bitter tasting oils released by heat. The stainless steel filter/infuser will create and preserve perfectly balanced, smooth tasting flavors every time. High quality stainless steel lid, spigot and filter ensures a premium experience to your cold brew.
- Brewing Made Easy: Brewing coffee or tea has never been easier. Perfect for delicious cold brew. The stainless steel mesh filter can fit a large amount of coffee grounds, loose leaf or small tea bags, making it faster to brew in 12-18 hours. Keeping your home brews fresh for up to 2 weeks. The ability to get cold-brewed coffee overnight will save you time and money.
- No Hassle, Zulay Guarantee: We love and take pride in our products and we back this up with a Lifetime Guarantee. Be confident that this Cold Brew Coffee Maker will last. If you experience any issues, simply contact us and we will take care of it. Order now and be assured that this product will live up to your expectations, guaranteed. If it does not make your coffee exactly how you want it, we got you covered. Chances are, you will never need to reach out. Happy Brewing!
Primula Burke Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker
Primula Burke Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker has an ergonomic design and brews a distinctively smooth coffee with no bitter taste. It is a perfect 6 cup size, very durable, filters every ground, comfortable to use, and is dishwasher safe.
- COLD BREW COFFEE AT HOME – Save money and time by making incredibly rich and smooth cold brew coffee at home. It has never been easier and more affordable-- all you need is a Primula cold brew coffee maker for incredible results.
- DO IT YOURSELF CRAFT COLD BREW - Our unique cold brew extraction process produces flavorful, full bodied cold brew coffee and tea. The perfect gift for any novice or coffee enthusiast. Something to enjoy and use for many years.
- STREAMLINED DESIGN – Simply add coffee grounds to the brew filter, pour cold water over the coffee, and let brew overnight or to desired strength. Serve cold, over ice or hot. Add milk, creamer, syrups or flavorings to fit your taste preferences, or add ice for an extra refreshing cup of coffee.
- HASSLE-FREE COLD BREW- Designed to make cold brewing easy and mess-free. Easy to use, dishwasher safe, effortless cleanup, durable glass construction, removable filter, and fits most refrigerator doors or shelves. Makes up to 6 cups (52 ounces) of smooth, delicious cold brew coffee.
- TIME FOR COLD BREW - A slow brewed cup of cold brew coffee is the perfect way to start the day. Create the cold brew coffee you can't wait to wake up to. Primula makes cold brew simple and affordable.
- WHY PRIMULA'S COLD BREW COFFEE IS BETTER - An industry leader for over 30-years. Primula always delivers the highest quality, award-winning products that are patented, thoroughly tested and highly reviewed. Striding to set the standard for satisfaction and reliability.
Cafe du Chateau Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Cafe du Chateau Cold Brew Coffee Maker is a 34 ounce, airtight coffee maker with a stainless steel filter. The brewed coffee is less acidic, less bitter, and more flavorful. It is BPA-free, rust and corrosion-resistant, and the perfect gift for loved ones, friends, or family members.
- ❌Avoid Expensive Coffee Shops, Become Your Own Cold Coffee Brewer: You can stay home and brew a better cup of iced coffee or tea with our easy to use cold brew pitcher
- ☕You've Tried Cold Brew Before, But Not Like This: Our laser cut filter lets water flow in while keeping grounds out. So all you taste is smooth, delectable iced tea and coffee
- 🙅♂️Nothing Gets Past This Iced Coffee Maker's Airtight Seals: Made from silicone, the first seal hugs the glass carafe and the second seals the top of the filter assembly; no spills or spoils here
- 👍Safety First: The materials in our cold brew machine and iced tea maker surpass U.S.F.D.A and European Commission food safety standards, ensuring your cold brew kit is reliable and safe
- ✔️Lifetime Replacement Policy: At Cafe Du Chateau, we care about your experience with our products. To show we’re here to help, we pledge to replace your cold coffee maker should anything go wrong
Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker is very durable, superior in quality, and brews iced and cold brew coffee to perfection. It has a silicon steel cap for maximum freshness, non-slip base, borosilicate glass, precision-cut filter, safe and easy to use, BPA free, 32 oz capacity, and a lifetime warranty.
- CUPPA JOE: This cold brew pitcher will brew 4 cups of your favorite morning brew. Simply pour the desired amount of ground coffee and let brew between 12-24 hours!
- EASY TO USE: Our compact cold coffee brewer allows you to brew, store, serve, and clean in seconds.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Designed for durability, our cold brew coffee pitcher features borosilicate glass, a silicone non-slip base, and a stainless-steel precision-cut filter.
- SAFE & SEALED: This cold brewer features dual silicone rings and a tight fit cap, forming an airtight seal that keeps your coffee fresh while brewing.
- THOUGHTFUL GIFT: Is your favorite coffee connoisseur in pursuit of the perfect brew? Our cold brew carafe will end their search!
OXO Brew Cold Brew Coffee Maker
OXO Brew Cold Brew Coffee Maker is very compact, easy to use, and delivers rich coffee that is low in acidity. It features an ultra-fine mesh filter and will brew up to a week’s worth of coffee.
- Brews low acid coffee concentrates to prepare hot or cold coffee
- Compact size takes up less space on countertops and in refrigerators
- Draining starts automatically when brewer is placed on carafe
- Rainmaker evenly distributes water over coffee grounds
- Lid keeps coffee maker covered and protected while brewing
- Yields up to 16 ounce of coffee concentrate
Vinci Express Cold Brew Electric Coffee Maker
Vinci Express Cold Brew Coffee Maker delivers café quality homemade coffee within 5 minutes. It is powered by electricity, made of borosilicate glass, has 4 brew strengths, a self-cleaning cycle, and a 1.1-liter capacity. Cold-brew is done in three quick steps – add coffee, add water, and then select your brew strength.
- Cold Brew Coffee Just Got Faster! The Vinci Express Cold Brew Coffee Maker allows you to make homemade cold brew coffee in just minutes instead of waiting the traditional 12-24 hours.
- 4 Coffee Brew Strengths to Choose From - Select from Light (5 Minutes), Medium (10 Minutes), Bold (15 Minutes), or Extra Bold (25 Minutes).
- New Technology - Vinci's patented Circle Flow brewing technology ensures a Fast, Bold, Delicious Cold Brew with a Smooth, Clean, and Virtually Sediment-Free finish.
- Brew, Serve & Store in One Container - Compact for easy storage in the refrigerator for up to 10-days. Includes two lids- one for brewing and one for storing.
- Includes Self Cleaning Function - Includes a clean setting that flushes residual coffee from the unit, then cleans with fresh water, and drains the brew path for the most hygienic brewing.
RELATED POST: 5 Best Coffee Machine and Coffee makers of 2021
RELATED POST: Best Espresso Machines of 2021