A cold brew coffee is a ground coffee steeped in cold water and strained, while iced coffee is a hot brewed coffee poured over ice. Having set this aside, we can now proceed on this journey of ”how to make cold brew coffee at home”.
The process of preparing cold brew coffee to perfection has led to a huge chunk of old coffee varieties to be forgotten. Over the years, we have known coffee to be brewed and served hot, with steamed milk poured in an artistic manner.
So, what is the story here?
The global rise in temperature has resulted in a gradual shift among millennials. People now consume more cold brew coffee than hot coffee. Hence, to keep up with this dynamic generation, a barista needs to possess the right knowledge and skill to use a cold brew coffee maker.
Our Top Pick: 10 Best Cold Brew Coffee Makers 2020
- Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Takeya Iced Tea Maker
- Oxo Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Kungroo Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Kitchen Aid Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Primula Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Willow & Everett Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Craft Connections Co Cold Brew Coffee Maker Kit
- Bodum Bean Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Takeya Patented Cold Brew Coffee Maker
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee at Home
- 1 cup of whole beans (4 ounces or 113 grams) will be needed. It can be the Robusta or the Arabica variety that id dark or medium roasted.
- 4 cups of water (32 ounces or 907 grams) is good for the entire process.
- Coffee or spice grinder.
- A small strainer, to separate the grounds from the drink.
- A bottle, for storing the brewed coffee till consumption or sale.
- Cheesecloth to sieve the drink.
- Finally, a 1 1/2-quart glass or ceramic or plastic container to steep the drink.
- Set the spice or coffee grinder to the most-coarse setting. Check the output before doing the full grind. You need a uniform coarse grind. Any finer, and you risk cloudy, grimy-tasting coffee. Under 1 cup of grounds be perfect
- Sterilize a large mason jar. Pour the coffee grounds and water into the jar, 1:8 coffee-to-water ratio
- Stir gently with a long spoon, cover, and leave too steep for 12-14 hours. Steeping time varies among cold coffee makers
- After brewing, use a strainer to remove coffee grounds. Discard the strainer, and repeat again with a new strainer. Repeat two or three times, until you see no murky residue at the bottom
- Serve over ice with milk and sugarCover and refrigerate the rest. When stored properly, it can stay good for a month, because of the brew’s low acid content.
Tips for Success
- Coffee grounds should be coarse – Finer grounds makes straining difficult
- Use filtered water if possible – Coffee tastes better when it is used. It tends to bring out the rich flavor of freshly ground coffee
- Steep for at least 12 hours – Steeping time varies among brewers, but the least should be 12 hours. This gives coffee time to infuse properly. Over steeping is equally not good. Bitter flavors tend to be extracted at this point.
- Ice cubes – make coffee ice cubes to chill your cold brew coffee
10 Best Cold Brew Coffee Makers 2020
Bean Envy Cold Brew Coffee Maker
- Cold brew coffee is nonacidic
- Taste is concentrated and maintained
- Shock-resistant glass for durability
- Simple and easy to use
- Maintains freshness for 7 days
Takeya Iced Tea Maker
Takeya Iced Tea maker is a perfect choice for the hot summer and is designed with a chill technology. This ensures the flavor and nutrients of fresh-brewed coffee is intact for a substantial period of time. The brewing process takes just 30 seconds and the bottle comes in five different sizes. The Takeya Iced Tea Maker is strong and sturdy, BPA-free, and airtight to prevent spillage.
- BPA – free
- Strong, sturdy and comfortable to use
- Strong borosilicate glass
- Easy to clean, hand-wash and is dishwasher safe
Oxo Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker
The Oxo Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker is 32-once and makes up to 2 cups. It is BPA-free and designed to allow even distribution of water. This ensures the coffee tastes better, while the flavor is preserved over time. The brewing process is very easy, smooth, and low in acidity. This coffee maker is durable and has two reusable wool paper filters, a silicone seal to keep your brew fresh and hot for an extended period. It is made of strong borosilicate glass and an ultra-stainless-steel reusable mesh filter.
- Keeps coffee fresh for longer periods
- Strong and sturdy build
- Simple to use
- Cold brew is low in acidity
Kungroo Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Kungroo Cold Brew Coffee Maker is airtight and delivers rich, tasty coffee to your desired perfection. It’s plastic and borosilicate glass is strong and sturdy, and BPA- free. It makes both iced coffee, tea, hot and cold coffee. This coffee maker has a high precision stainless steel infuser, that keeps the coffee fresh for at least 2 weeks. Its delicious coffee is smooth and low in acidity.
- Strong and Durable
- Stainless Steel infuser to deliver smooth coffee
- Easy to replace filters
- BPA Free
Kitchen Aid Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Kitchen Aid Cold Brew Coffee Maker has a huge take that is up to 14 cups per serving. The coffee is smooth and rich in flavor. It is simple to use and clean. This coffee maker is made of a solid re-usable stainless steel and a Borosilicate glass. The cold brew coffee can be stored for up to 2 weeks. The rich taste and flavor are preserved over time. It has a removable tank and a reusable filter.
- Tap makes it simple to pour
- Reusable stainless-steel steeper
- Cold brew coffee can last up to two weeks
- Sleek design.
Primula Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Primula Cold Brew Coffee Maker is made of durable borosilicate glass and makes up to 6 cups of rich coffee. The coffee is low in acidity, smooth and tasty. It also makes ice tea and other infused beverages. Innovative design ensures coffee remains fresh for days, easy to clean and use.
- Silicone gasket top to prevent dripping proof
- Cold brew stays fresh for days
- Smooth rich tasty coffee
- BPA Free and easy to clean
Willow & Everett Cold Brew Coffee Maker
Willow and Everest cold brew coffee maker is an excellent choice for a large household. It is convenient and makes up to 16 cups per serving. Cold brew coffee is delicious, tasty, and remains fresh for up to 2 weeks. The jar is airtight with an adjustable spout. It has a customized filter that is very durable, easy to clean, and BPA-free.
- A big reservoir for the large household
- Keeps flavor strong for up to 2 weeks
- Easy to use
Craft Connections Co Cold Brew Coffee Maker Kit
Craft Connections Co Cold Brew Coffee Maker kit makes coffee to perfection. This kit has a super cool design, that comes with a mason jar, organic coffee grounds, recipe book, and a coffee grinder. The 64oz jar is durable, easy to clean, and BPA-free.
- Durable mason jar
- Airtight to prevent spillage
- Coffee grinder
- recipe book
- Easy to clean
Bodum Bean Cold Brew Coffee Maker
The Bodum Bean Cold Brew Coffee Maker has a 51 oz capacity and is BPA-free. It has two lids, one for overnight refrigeration and a plunger lid to press the coffee grounds down after refrigeration. This coffee maker is dishwasher safe, easy to use, and clean.
- 2 lids with separate functions
- Perfect for hot and cold brew coffee
- No paper filters, which means no lost flavors
- BPA Free plastic
- Spill protection
Takeya Patented Airtight Silicone 1 Quart Coffee Maker
This Takeya Cold brew coffee maker has a silicone handle and is airtight. The coffee produced by this maker is concentrated and acid-free, fresh, and lasts for up to 2 weeks. Freshness is preserved for long periods. Takeya Patented Airtight Cold Brew Coffee Maker is easy to use, spill-proof, BPA-free, and comes in 5 bottle sizes.
- BPA-free plastic
- Cold brew coffee remains fresh for long periods
- Easy to use
- 5 bottle sizes
- Filters acids and grounds to maintain freshness and flavor