The pumpkin spice latte has become a fall staple, with many coffee shops offering their version of the popular drink. But why pay high prices when you can make your delicious pumpkin spice latte at home?
With just a few simple ingredients, including pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, milk (dairy or non-dairy), sugar or sweetener of your choice, vanilla extract, and coffee (espresso or strong brewed coffee), you can create a latte that is just as good, if not better, than the one from your local coffee shop.
And with the use of an espresso machine or coffee maker, whisk, or milk frother, you’ll be able to make a latte that is sure to impress. In this article, we’ll show you how to make the best pumpkin spice latte at home.
What is Pumpkin Spice Latte?
The Pumpkin Spice Latte, commonly referred to as PSL, is a famous autumn drink made with steamed milk, pumpkin spice seasoning, and strong coffee. The seasoning usually contains a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. While some coffee shops use pumpkin puree, you can make the latte with real pumpkin by following the recipe notes. Some people even prefer using canned pumpkin puree to make it more pumpkin-y. This seasonal drink is widely popular, and its fame has led to the creation of numerous pumpkin recipes.
What Ingredients and Equipment Needed for Pumpkin Spice Latte?
- Pumpkin puree is a key ingredient in making the perfect pumpkin spice latte at home. This ingredient adds a rich pumpkin flavor to the latte and is essential for that authentic pumpkin spice taste. It can be found in most grocery stores, or you can make your own by roasting and pureeing a pumpkin.
- Pumpkin pie spice is another essential ingredient in making a pumpkin spice latte. This blend of spices typically made up of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice adds warmth and depth to the latte. You can purchase pumpkin pie spice at most grocery stores or make your own by mixing the individual spices.
- Milk is another important ingredient in a pumpkin spice latte. You can use dairy milk, such as whole or skim milk, or you can opt for non-dairy milk, like almond or oat milk. Whichever type of milk you choose, ensure it is cold and frothy for that perfect latte texture.
- Sugar or sweetener of your choice is used to sweeten the latte. You can use granulated sugar, brown sugar, honey, or any other sweetener that you prefer. It’s important to adjust the sweetener amount based on your taste.
- Vanilla extract is a subtle but important ingredient that helps balance the latte flavors. A small amount of vanilla extract is needed to enhance the pumpkin flavors and spices.
- Coffee is the base of the latte, and you can use either espresso or a strong brewed coffee. Espresso is traditional, but you can use a strong brewed coffee if you don’t have an espresso machine.
- An espresso machine or coffee maker is necessary for making the latte. If you’re using an espresso machine, you’ll need to ensure it is properly set up and ready to use. If you’re using a coffee maker, ensure it is clean and filled with water.
- A whisk or milk frother is necessary to froth the milk. This will give the latte its characteristic whipped creamy texture. If you don’t have a milk frother, you can use a whisk or an electric mixer to froth the milk by hand.
Make The Best Pumpkin Spice Latte in 4 Simple Steps
Step 1: Preparing the pumpkin spice syrup
This pumpkin spice syrup is the key ingredient that gives the latte its unique pumpkin flavor. It can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, making it a convenient option for those who want to enjoy the taste of pumpkin spice lattes all season long.
Additionally, you can experiment with different sweeteners, such as maple syrup, to find the perfect balance of sweetness for your taste. With this homemade pumpkin spice syrup, you can enjoy a delicious and authentic pumpkin spice latte without ever having to leave your home.
Step 2: Brewing the coffee
To brew coffee for a pumpkin spice latte recipe using an espresso machine:
- Grind your desired coffee beans and place them into the portafilter.
- Tamp the grounds down and attach the portafilter to the machine.
- Pull a shot of espresso and set it aside.
To make a coffee shop version of a pumpkin latte, you can also use a coffee maker to brew a strong pot of coffee.
Step 3: Frothing the milk
This step is crucial as it creates the whipped creamy, frothy texture of a traditional pumpkin spice latte. You can use any milk you prefer, whether it be regular dairy, oat, or almond milk. A milk frother or whisk can be used to froth the milk, or you can even use an immersion blender for an even whipped cream texture.
This step will give your homemade pumpkin spice latte that authentic coffee shop feel, similar to the one you can find at Starbucks. It’s important to note that this step is optional, but achieving the full pumpkin spice latte recipe is highly recommended.
Step 4: Assembling the latte
Add your pumpkin spice syrup to a mug to assemble a pumpkin spice latte. If you made a big batch of syrup in advance, you could use it to sweeten your latte to your desired level. Then, pour the brewed coffee into the mug and the frothed milk on top of the coffee. To make the frothed milk, you can use a frother, a saucepan, and a whisk.
Finally, top the latte with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice. You can add a dollop of whipped cream on top and sprinkle some more pumpkin pie spice. If you want to make it even more delicious, you can use actual pumpkin puree instead of pumpkin spice syrup and add a touch of maple syrup for sweetness.
Some people also like to use coconut whipped cream instead of cow’s milk for a dairy-free version. For a good recipe, you can use a balance of pumpkin mixture, sweeteners, and spices to taste and adjust the quantity of each ingredient to your liking. You can also experiment with different spices or sweeteners to find the combination that you think tastes the best.
To make the best pumpkin spice latte at home, you only need a little creativity and some key ingredients. With these tips in mind, you can make a delicious pumpkin spice latte that will rival any coffee shop beverage. So get out your blender and start whipping up something special.
- Latte vs Macchiato: A COMPARISON of Two Classic Coffee Drinks
- How to Make the Perfect Coffee with Ice Cream at Home
- How to Make Flat White Coffee at Home
- How to Make Red Eye Coffee at Home
- How to Make Iced Shaken Espresso
- How to Make Starbucks Iced White Chocolate Mocha
- How to Make Tim Hortons Iced Capps at Home
- How To Make a Mocha Frappe Recipe at Home