Last Updated on June 6, 2021 by admin
An espresso machine is a coffee brewer. It directs near-boiling, pressurized water on a “puck” of ground coffee, before filtering out a thick, concentrated liquid called “Espresso.” Espresso machines can be pump-driven, air pump-driven, steam-driven, or piston-driven.
Choosing an espresso maker is a pretty difficult task. This is particularly true if you are new to the subject matter. However, some basic knowledge about the functionality and features of an espresso machine can make the task easier. So, if you are planning to buy an espresso machine, the below Q&A will come in handy.
Q: What is espresso?
Espresso is a unique coffee brewing method from Italy. As per this method, a small amount of nearly boiling water is forcefully directed to grounded coffee beans. The taste of espresso can differ based on the variety of coffee beans used and roast level.
Q: Is a home espresso machine worth it?
If you are a true espresso lover and want to have a couple of freshly prepared espresso shots every day, buying a home espresso machine can be a good move.
Q: Why is espresso so good?
The unique method used to brew espresso (using pressurized, near-boiling water) makes the difference. It can extract the best taste of coffee grounds.
Q: Is Espresso stronger than coffee?
Yes. Espresso has more caffeine content compared to regular brewed coffee. This is the result of the efficient and powerful brewing method.
Q: Do espresso machines make regular coffee?
It is impossible to make regular coffee using an espresso machine. If you want to do so, you should buy a dual-purpose machine that can make regular coffee and espresso. In fact, brewing espresso is significantly different from making regular coffee.
Q: Is Espresso more acidic than coffee?
No. Espresso has less acidic content compared to regular coffee. In general, espresso uses dark roasted coffee for brewing. The darker the roast, the lesser the acidity in coffee, and therefore, you can expect lesser acidity from espresso than coffee brewed using light or medium roasts.
Q: Is Espresso healthier than coffee?
You can enjoy espresso as it is without using any sugars and creams. That means you will not consume any extra calories or fat with the espresso. That means espresso allows you to boost your energy without necessarily sacrificing your health.
Q: Why does espresso make you poop?
You may already know that caffeine is an energy booster. In addition to that, caffeine can activate the contraction in your colon and intestinal muscles. That will lead to an urge to poop.
Q: Is espresso bad for your stomach?
The caffeine content in espresso can stimulate your digestive system. However, caffeine can trigger acid production in your body. So, if you consume a lot of espressos, your bodily acid levels will go up. That can eventually lead to mild tummy aches. But in general, those tummy aches are not harmful.
Q: Is espresso bad for your cholesterol?
Coffee has a substance called cafestol that can boost your LDL (known as bad cholesterol) levels. However, espresso is served in small sizes, so you don’t have to worry much about having a couple of espresso shots every day.
Q: How much espresso a day is healthy?
Many studies suggest that having four shots of espresso is healthy. So, to stay on the safer side, you should limit your espresso intake to four shots a day.
Q: Is espresso bad for your heart?
Espresso usually comes with high caffeine content, and it decreases blood flow to the heart. It may create some unfavorable effects on your cardiovascular health. So, those who have concerns about their cardiovascular health may opt for decaffeinated coffee as it increases blood flow.
Q: Is sour coffee under or over-extracted?
Sourness is one of the most common indications of under-extraction.
Q: What does the crema look like when espresso is over-extracted?
The crema of over-extracted espresso will appear in a darker blotchy color with some white spots.
Q: What are 3 shots of espresso called?
“Triple” is the name for three shots of espresso.
Q: How long will 3 shots of espresso last?
Once you consume espresso, 99% of its caffeine will be absorbed into your body within 45 minutes. The half-life for caffeine is between 4 to 6 hours. That means the espresso’s effect will last anywhere between 4 to 6 hours.
Q: How many espresso shots are too many?
You should limit your expresso intake to four shots. One shot of espresso is equivalent to an ounce and contains 63mg of caffeine. According to health experts, even a healthy adult should not consume more than 400mg of caffeine. So, do the math and limit your espresso intake to 4 shots.
Q: What does 15 bar Coffee mean?
The bar is the unit used to measure the atmospheric pressure of an espresso machine. One bar of pressure is equal to 1.47 PSI (pounds per square inch). So, a 15-bar espresso machine has 15 X 1.47 PSI of pressure.
Q: What is the best bar for espresso?
The best bar pressure for espresso is 09 (nine).
Q: Why is my coffee puck wet?
Your coffee puck can get wetter and sloppier when there is more water in the headspace (the shower screen). The number of water increases when there is a larger gap between the coffee grounds and the headspace.
Q: How do you check the coffee puck?
You can do it by pressing on the surface of the coffee puck. If the surface is firm yet spongy, that’s a good puck. You can also knock it out into the bench to see if it stays intact. If yes, you have the perfect puck.
Q: How many beans are in a shot of coffee?
A single espresso shot weighs 8 grams and comprises 71 coffee beans. If it is a 16-gram espresso serving, there will be about 142 coffee beans.
Q: Why is my espresso so watery?
Your espresso can be so watery because it is under-extracted. That means the extraction process is done too quickly, so fewer properties are extracted from the water.
Q: How do you extract the perfect coffee?
First, you should get the following equipment ready.
- Espresso Machine
- A grinder
- Filtered water
- A cup
- Fresh coffee beans of good quality
- A timer
Now, preheat the espresso machine, portafilter, and cup. You can pull a blank espresso shot to do that. An espresso machine will take up to 30 minutes to get heated.
Grind fresh coffee beans. If you grind too fine, that will result in an over-extracted, bitter shot. On the other hand, a coarse grind will produce an under-extracted and pretty sour shot. As a general guideline, grounds with a texture similar to granulated sugar will be ideal. However, you can consider different textures based on your personal taste.
Fill about 16 grams of coffee (this is for a double shot) into the portafilter.
Now, hold your elbow forming a 90-degree angle, rest the portafilter on a leveled surface and apply enough pressure to make a polished appearance. The finer the grounds, the easier to tamp it.
Now, place the portafilter in the machine’s brew head. Then, place the preheated cup in the appropriate position. Time your shot with the assistance of your timer. Ideally, it should take between 20 to 30 seconds to pull a well-brewed shot.
Q: What is a tamper tool?
Tamper tools are used to pack (which is called tamp in making espresso) coffee grounds before placing them in your espresso machine’s basket. As a result of using this tool, you can pack the coffee grounds evenly and expect a quality espresso shot. Basically, the tamper tool makes a compressed “cake” of ground coffee.
Q: How hard should you tamp coffee?
Professional baristas recommend a pressure of 30 pounds. However, some individuals use 20 pounds.
Q: What can I use instead of a tamper?
You can even use a regular sledgehammer to tamper coffee grounds. Handle the hammer vertically, lift it and drop. Repeat it. Although it can be somewhat tiresome, a sledgehammer is a handy tool when you don’t have a dedicated tamper.
Q: Can I use regular coffee for espresso?
Simply put, yes. You can use any coffee bean to make espresso as long as it is roasted darker and ground finer.
Q: How can a good espresso be identified?
A good espresso has a noticeable sweetness along with perfectly balanced bitterness and acidity. However, as you get used to the taste of espresso, you are likely to feel the bitterness and some tartness.
Q: How long will an espresso machine last?
Generally, espresso has a lifespan between 5 to 15 years, depending on the build quality, brand, and usage.
Q: Should I turn off my espresso machine at night?
Yes. It is better to have the machine switched off when it is idle. Intermittent heating and cooling will not cause any noticeable harm to the machine.
Q: When should I turn off my espresso machine?
Turn it off whenever you are not making use of it. Otherwise, it will consume electricity.
Q: What are the three parts of espresso?
An espresso should have The Crema, The Body, and The Heart to call it a perfect shot.
Q: Are cheap espresso machines worth it?
No. With a cheap espresso machine, you cannot expect the perfect shot. So, it is better to spend a few extra bucks on a good espresso machine.
Q: What is the espresso handle called?
It is called a portafilter.
Q: What is an espresso shot called?
It has different names depending on how you drink it.
- Red-eye – having a shot of espresso on top of a cup of brewed coffee.
- Ristretto – a shorter version of espresso, typically the first 3/4 ounce of the extracted coffee.
- Shot – an ounce of espresso
Q: What is a ghetto latte?
Ghetto latte is double or triple shots of espresso over ice along with free milk and cream.
Q: What is a double espresso with milk called?
Q: What’s the difference between espresso and latte?
Lattes contain about 60% of milk, and espresso is served plain.
Q: Is French press coffee stronger than espresso?
Yes. A French press coffee has more caffeine compared to a single shot of espresso.
Q: Why are espresso machines so expensive?
Espresso machines are made with high-quality materials, including stainless steel, metal, and brass, making them so expensive.
Q: Can I use vinegar to descale my Breville espresso machine?
Yes. You can use a mixture of water and vinegar (with a 1:1 ratio) to descale your Breville espresso machine. Run that solution several times without any coffee and flush it so the machine will be descaled.
Q: Are espresso machines dangerous?
Since espresso machines contain boiling water, you should handle it carefully. If you handle components such as portafilter and steam wand improperly, you may experience some skin burns.
Q: Is Nespresso as good as real espresso?
Nespresso comes with slightly less intensity and flavorful compared to an espresso made with a good machine.
Q: What is the difference between the original and Vertuo Nespresso?
The original version comes with a pump-based, pressure-driven extraction method. However, Vertuo Nespresso has a newer centrifugal extraction. Also, Vertuo machines need lower temperatures compared to the original ones.
Q: What coffee drink has the least caffeine?
Decaffeinated coffee is the coffee that has the least amount of caffeine. In fact, decaffeinated coffee is 97% caffeine-free.
Q: Do espresso machines explode?
Espresso machines work based on a pressure system. So, a failure in that system can lead the energy to cause an explosion. That is why you should choose a good espresso machine instead of investing in a cheaper one.
Q: Can espresso machines make tea?
Yes. You can make tea with any espresso machine. However, it would be best to ground the tea leaves finely before putting them into the machine.
Q: Why are Nespresso pods so expensive?
Nespresso doesn’t make any profit on the machines they sell. Instead, they make money on their pods. That is why Nespresso pods are expensive.
Q: Which is better Jura or Saeco?
Of course, Jura is the better brand and ideal for pro espresso enthusiasts. However, Saeco is the affordable one, and therefore, it is more suitable for beginners.
Q: Are Saeco and Gaggia the same company?
Saeco bought Gaggia over back in 1999. Then, in 2009, Philips bought Saeco over. So, as of this writing, both Gaggia and Saeco are owned by Philips.
Q: Does Philips own Gaggia?
Yes, Gaggia is a subsidiary of Philips.
Q: What are the different types of espresso machines?
There are 15 types of espresso machines. Mentioned below are those types for your reference.
- Reservoir or Pour Over
- Direct Connect or Plumbed-In
- Single Boiler
- Double Boiler
- Heat Exchanging
- Manual or Lever
- Steam Driven
- Pump Driven
Q: What is the best espresso machine for home use?
Please, see the below review on the best espresso machines
9 Best Espresso Machines for Home Use
Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine
Breville Barista Express Espresso Machine brews rich-tasting coffee like no other, and it is the one machine that lets you skip a trip to the coffee shop. It lets you create café quality coffee at the comfort of your home without zero experience. A precise dose amount, water temperature, sufficient steam, and water pressure are four key elements that defy this coffee maker. This espresso machine is very durable and features a built-in conical grinder, stainless steel parts, a thermocouple heating system, volumetric controls, and a steam wand.
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty coffee at home using the 4 keys formula and is part of the Barista Series that offers all in one espresso machines with integrated grinder to go from beans to espresso in under one minute
- Dose Control Grinding: Integrated precision conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of bean
- Optimal Water Pressure: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases pressure at the start and helps ensure all the flavors are drawn out evenly during the extraction for a balanced tasting cup
- Precise Espresso Extraction: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal espresso extraction
- Manual Microfoam Milk Texturing: The powerful steam wand performance allows you to hand texture microfoam milk that enhances flavor and enables creation of latte art
- Espresso Machine with Grind Size Dial: Simple and intuitive, giving you control over the grind size no matter what type of bean you're grinding
- Espresso Maker with built-in Coffee Grinder: Innovative grinding cradle allows any at home barista to grind directly into the espresso portafilter for the perfect espresso
- Accessories: Razor Dose Trimming Tool, 54mm Stainless Steel Portafilter, 1 & 2 cup Single & Dual Wall Filter Baskets, Coffee Scoop, Integrated Tamper, Stainless Steel Milk Jug, Cleaning disc, tablets, brush tool & Allen Key, Water Filter & Filter Holder
- Capacity & Settings: 1 by 2 lb, Bean Hopper; 67 oz Water Tank; Single or double shots; Adjustable grind amount and Manual override
- Warranty: 1 Year Limited Product Warranty; Power: 1600 Watts; Voltage: 120 Volts
Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso Machine
Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista Espresso Machine is a semi-automatic espresso, latte, and cappuccino maker, with a 15-bar pressure system that extracts bold, rich, tasty coffee flavors during the brew. It is the perfect coffee machine for all levels of experience, and it features a removable water and milk reservoir, a coffee recipe book, automatic frothing, measuring spoon/tamper, filter, and a one-touch control panel.
- Semi-automatic 3-in-1 espresso, cappuccino and latte maker
- 15-bar pump system brews rich-tasting espresso coffee
- Trouble-free automatic milk frother removes the guesswork
- One-touch control panel for drink selections; Creates single and double servings
- Easy-fill, removable water and milk reservoirs; Programmed cleaning cycle
- Cord length: 26 Inches & Watts: 1040
Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine
Calphalon Temp iQ Espresso Machine employs precision heating and precise temperature control for optimal flavor extraction. This coffee maker for the home is very compact, durable, and features stainless steel milk pitcher, dual filters, a cleaning pin, thermoblock heating, a café-sized 58 mm portafilter, a powerful steam wand, a tamper, and a 2 L water reservoir.
- 15-Bar Italian pump delivers the right amount of pressure for maximum flavor extraction and produces a beautiful layer of crema for your Espresso
- Dial interface for selecting steam, hot water, and pre-programmed single and double shots
- 58mm café-sized porta filter holds more grounds and ensures even water dispersion and extraction for robust flavor
- Thermoblock heating technology and PID temperature control delivers even heat for consistently great-tasting Espresso, and pre-infusion gently blooms The espresso grounds for optimally extracted Espresso
- Removable 2.0L water reservoir with hinged lid for easy filling
- Cup warming tray for espresso-ready cups and steam wand froths milk for creating cappuccinos, lattes, and other drinks, just like in coffee shops
- Includes stainless steel milk pitcher, tamper,and cleaning pin (Cleaning Pin located in the 'Accessories' storage area under the Drip tray )
Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine is very portable, durable, and will deliver the ultimate home-brewed coffee with uncompromising quality. The coffee machine offers 2 programmable cup sizes and features a removable water tank, sixteen Nespresso capsule starter kit, Aeroccino 3 milk frother, and a power-saving mode.
- 2 programmable buttons for Espresso and Lungo
- Low energy consumption after 3 minutes
- Heat-up time in under 30 seconds
- 20.3 ounce water tank capacity
Gevi Special Brew Espresso Machine
Gevi Special Brew Espresso Machine is super-fast, divinely ordained, and includes better brew precision control for that delicious cup of home-brewed coffee. It features a 15 bar Italian ODM pump, double volume boiler, manual steam wand, and manually adjusted cup sizes. The Gevi package includes a coffee machine, water tank., cup tray, spoon, cup tray cover, three in one portafilter, and filter accessories.
- ☕ 【45S FAST HEATING WITHOUT WAITING】: Semi-Automatic 2-in-1 Espresso Machine, you can enjoy making espresso in the instant heating system, rapid heating in 45 seconds but low noise. 15 bar professional imported Italian pump ensure the max extraction and rich-tasting espresso.
- ☕ 【PROFESSIONAL MILK FROTHING WAND】: Frothing milk for cappuccino and latte by hot steam want. The professional frothing wand mixes steam and milk to create a rich, dense and creamy froth for every drinks.
- ☕ 【DOUBLE TEMPERATURE CONTROL】: With an accurate dual temperature control system, the temperature can be adjusted to achieve the ideal state. Make sure to extract coffee at 198℉ and steam at 212℉. The double-volume boiler can produce more hot water and steam.
- ☕ 【SAFE PROTECTION SYSTEM】 : The machine will automatically power off after 25 minutes, automatic pressure relief protection to avoid water leakage. Overheat protection to prevent dry burning.
- ☕ 【EASY TO OPERATE】: Operating tips: two cups of 60ml/ 2oz, about 14g/ 2 spoons for the best concentration and crema. What you get: Espresso Machine x1, Portafilter x1, double shots funnel x1, Manual x1.
Brewsly 15 Bar Espresso Machine
Brewsly 15 Bar Espresso Machine is a compact 15-bar pressure system that lets you brew like a professional at the comfort of your home. It is safe, easy to use, and features a powerful steam wand for milk frothing, a 2-in-1 filter holder, a removable water tank, a heated cup holder, and a double drip tray.
Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso Maker
Mr. Coffee One-Touch CoffeeHouse Espresso Maker brews extraordinary coffee like a seasoned barista. It is of high quality, suitable for all users, very easy to use, and it is one of the coffee machines that lets you skip a trip to the coffee shop. The machine features a 19-bar pressure pump, thermocouple heating system, integrated steam wand, removable milk reservoir, adjustable cup tray, and a one-touch control panel.
- 19 Bar Italian pump delivers ideal pressure to extract robust coffee flavors
- Easy 1 button interface takes the guesswork out of controlling the espresso maker
- Select single or double shots of espresso with a simple 1 button press
- Thermocouple heating system evenly heats the water for piping hot drinks
- Automatic milk frother whips any milk into a light, creamy froth
- Removable milk reservoir is easy to fill, clean and store leftover milk in the fridge
- Cup tray adjusts to conveniently fit tall and short mugs
- Note: Instruction manual must be followed to prime unit before using for first time
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine features a very intuitive one-touch user interface, and it is the coffee machine for all levels. No professional experience is needed for that café-like quality coffee, and it will deliver amazing espresso, americano, espresso lungo, and hot water. It features a touch screen display, classic milk frother, aqua clean filter, 3 brew strength settings, 12 grinder adjustments, ceramic grinder, and 3 temperature control.
- Enjoy 4 coffees at your fingertips, makes espresso, hot water, coffee, Americano, Espresso Lungo
- Intuitive touch display, frequency: 60 hertz
- Adjust aroma strength and quantity
- 12-step grinder adjustment
- Aroma seal keep your beans fresh for longer
- Up to 5,000 cups without descaling thanks to AquaClean
- Removable brew group for easy cleaning
- Dishwasher safe parts for your convenience
- Aroma strength settings: 3
- Temperature settings: 3
Espresso Works Espresso Machine
Espresso Works Espresso Machine is a classic brewer with a divine touch. It is an all-in-one starter and will let you brew professional-grade coffee in the comfort of your home. Tested and trusted, this coffee machine is easy to use, clean, and the package features a 15-bar pressure system, stainless steel frothing cup, removable drip tray, removable water tank, a thermoblock heating system, 12v coffee grinder, measuring spoon/tamper, and a high-quality filter.
- ✅ Includes: 15 Bar Pump Espresso & Cappuccino Maker, Electric Coffee Bean Grinder, Stainless Steel Portafilter with Single and Double Shot Filter Baskets, Milk frothing pitcher, Scoop/Tamper, 2 Ceramic Espresso Cups
- ✅ ESPRESSO MACHINE and LATTE MAKER 15 BAR PUMP PRESSURE SYSTEM- Enjoy great tasting Italian Espresso, Americano and Macchiato!
- ✅ SINGLE ESPRESSO SHOT OR DOUBLE ESPRESSO SHOT- Two stainless steel portafilter baskets included for the option of pulling a single shot or a double shot during each extraction. Compatible with ESE Pods.
- ✅ EASY VIEW REMOVABLE WATER TANK- Conveniently monitor water levels of front view transparent tank (1.25L capacity). Handle included on tank for easy removal for cleaning and refilling.
- ✅ OVER 10,000 UNITS SOLD with an Outstanding Customer service team! Available 24/7 to provide personal assistance at any time!